Professor William Ribbans
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
MCh, PhD, FRCS (ORTH), FFSEM (UK)
Tel: 01604 795414 (Gill Hurnell)
Professor Bill Ribbans is a Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery and Professor of Sports Medicine.
Bill qualified from the Royal Free Hospital, London in 1980. As a junior doctor he trained in London before undertaking Fellowships in Sheffield and at Harvard University. He is a Fellow of both the Royal College of Surgeons of England and Edinburgh. He was a Consultant at the Royal Free from 1991-1996 and then at Northampton General Hospital 1996-2012.
Bill has been trained and practised in all aspects of Orthopaedic Surgery but has principal interests in the lower limb particularly the knee, ankle and foot. Presently about 40% of his patients travel from outside of Northamptonshire and 35% attend seeking second opinions. The spectrum of patients range from children over 10 years old to the elderly.
Bill has undertaken Medico-legal work since 1985 and works closely with legal companies in cases of personal injury and clinical negligence areas.
In the sporting world, Bill has been involved in elite sport since 1981. He was a Foundation Fellow of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine. He has been Honorary Orthopaedic Surgeon to the English National Ballet for over 20 years, Northampton Saints (1996-2009) Northampton Town FC (1999-present), Chief Medical Officer to Northants CCC (2012-present) and a member of UKA (United Kingdom Athletics) International Panel of Sports Medicine Experts (2011-present). He has looked after many Olympic medallists, World Champions and members of international teams.
Bill organises numerous educational meetings and has lectured on all five continents. He has edited several books and published over 150 scientific papers. As Professor of Sports Medicine at the University of Northampton and Medical Director of the Chris Moody Centre at Moulton College, Bill has a number of scientific areas of research including the genetics of tendon and ligament injury, sports medicine ethics, sports injury surveillance, and whole body cryotherapy.
Additionally has sat on advisory committees for the Royal College of Surgeons of England and Edinburgh and the British Orthopaedic Association.
- Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS)
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- British Association of Sports Medicine (BASM)
- Royal Society of Medicine ( RSM)
- British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (BOFAS)
- Limb Reconstruction Society
- World Haemophilia Federation
Treatment / Procedures
Foot and Ankle Operations
- Surgery for arthritis of the foot and ankle including joint replacements and joint fusions.
- Arthroscopy of the ankle.
- Achilles tendon surgery.
- Surgery for flat foot deformity.
- Reconstruction of ankle and foot ligaments.
- Repair and reconstruction of tendon injuries of the foot and ankle.
- Bunion surgery.
- Surgery for disorders of the lesser toes, e.g. hammer and mallet toes, and unstable toes.
- Surgery for nerve problems in the foot and ankle, e.g. tarsal tunnel syndrome, Morton’s neuromas.
- Knee arthroscopy.
- Surgery for knee arthritis including knee replacement, osteotomy, and grafting.
- .Knee ligament surgery.
- Surgery for kneecap instability.