Mr David Stock
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Eng), FRCS (Tr and Orth), Dip SEM
Tel: 01604 795412 (Amanda Pashley)
David has been a Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon at Northampton General Hospital since January 2001, specialising in the hip and knee.
He qualified from The Royal Free Hospital, London in June 1990 having also undertaken a BSc at St. Mary’s Hospital, London.
His specialist Orthopaedic training was based at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore. He was appointed a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in May 1999.
David completed a fellowship (advanced training) in hip and knee arthroplasty (joint replacement) and sports medicine at SPORTSMED.SA, Adelaide, South Australia.
The fellowship involved specialist treatment of patients with hip and knee arthritis, with operations using a range of different implants to suit the patients’ needs including total and partial knee replacements. National and international athletes from a diversity of sporting backgrounds were treated. Knee ligament (including anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)) and cartilage injuries were particularly common from playing Australian rules football and netball. SPORTSMED had a national reputation for the treatment of these conditions.
Research at SPORTSMED included investigating the biomechanical properties of ACL grafts and the development of heterotopic ossification after hip replacements.
His work is currently divided between NHS commitments and his private practice.
David specialises in knee ligament, meniscal and chondral injuries of the knee and replacement surgery of the hip and knee. He looks after an ever increasing number of children/ adolescents with sports and overuse injuries. Management of trauma plays a significant part of his NHS workload.
He is involved in the national evaluation of hip implants and has lectured both nationally and internationally and teaches junior Orthopaedic surgeons and medical students.
David is the lead surgeon in redesigning the Elective Pathway for patients undergoing hip and knee replacements at Northampton General Hospital. This will ensure patients receive the highest quality service before, during and after surgery enhancing patient experience and outcome.
He has been Honorary Orthopaedic Surgeon at Northampton Saints Rugby Club since 2004. He played many sports and represented England in the Rugby Students World Cup in 1988 and played for Saracens Rugby Football Club first XV. This sporting background allows him to understand the effect an injury has both physically and psychologically on an athlete. David has a Diploma in sports and exercise medicine
- Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS)
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee (BASK)
- British Association of Sports Medicine (BASEM)
Treatments / Procedures
- Hip replacement
- Hip revision
- Hip injection treatment
- Knee arthroscopy including chondral surgery, microfracture and lateral release.
- Surgery for knee arthritis including total knee replacement, partial knee replacement ( uni compartmental) and osteotomy.
- Revision knee replacement.
- Knee ligament surgery including Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction.
Foot and Ankle Operations
- Surgery for arthritis of the foot including joint fusions.
- Achilles tendon surgery.
- Bunion surgery.
- Surgery for disorders of the lesser toes, e.g. hammer and mallet toes.
- Surgery for nerve problems e.g. Morton’s neuromas.
Trauma (Fracture/Broken bones)
- Surgical and non surgical management of fractures of the foot, ankle, knee, shin, thigh and wrist bones.
- Treatment of bones that have failed to heal (non union) or are slow to heal (delayed union).